Thursday 24 June 2010

Does Mummy really know best?

I'm writing this in the hope that someone will tell me straight. Could this be a case of 'Mummy knows best' or am I just one of those people that doctors cower under the table when they see?! I really don't like to waste doctor's time, and will usually wait until the last possible minute or until things get really bad before asking for help. I even waited until my son's head was out before I called maternity and consequently had him on a toilet floor! 

Anyone who I tweet with will know that my 1 year old son has bad eczema, and he's been on all sorts of cocktails of lotions and potions to keep it under control. A few weeks ago though it got very badly infected and he had to go on antibiotics in addition to everything else, including a strong steroid which always clears it up really well but can only be used for 2 weeks at a time because it thins the skin.

So today I phoned the doctor and asked what I should do because he's been on the cream for a fortnight and since stopping it and going back to the original one the eczema's all flared up again, making him really uncomfortable. I have creams and know I can control it, but I don't want to just be controlling it if I can get to the cause and try and prevent it in the first place. I have been told by the doctor that there is no cause of eczema and the only option is to treat it. I have friends who have been told similar things, but some have been referred to dermatologists and allergy testing places, and all those who have been referred have found causes and consequently eliminated triggers resulting in happy babies.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

1 comment:

  1. I realise this post is a month old but I thought I'd reply just in case you are still having problems.

    I have a friend with a one-year-old son who has bad eczema. They've tried every potion under the sun but a few weeks ago they just stopping moisturising. Amazingly just leaving the skin to do it's own thing the eczema has been a lot better. He's even been able to wear short sleeves and shorts which he could before because of the scratching. Don't know if this is any help to you but just thought I'd pass that info on.

    ReplyDelete