Saturday 19 June 2010

Seven things that make me happy!

After writing my last post, loads of people were with me and it was great because it meant that 1. I didn't feel quite so grumpy after all, and 2. That people were actually reading my blog!

Then I started having conversations with people and managed to come up with about 10 other things that should've been on the list, which made me feel like a grump all over again! So @batteryrunmum suggested that perhaps I should create a post of things that made me happy. I thought this was a great idea, but then she said I wasn't allowed to include my family and children in the list, so I figured it might be slightly more difficult. Obviously they are my life and I love them more than anything, but I'm up for the challenge and hope it will release a few endorphines into my slightly hungover system this morning. In no particular order...

1. Singing. Until I met my husband in 2000 this was the biggest part of my life. I joined a choir when I was 10 and was taught how to sing classically through this. At uni, despite having part time jobs, I made most of my money by singing. I sang on TV, went on international tours and even had a recital broadcast on Radio 3. I was possibly in retrospect a bit too sensible though. I decided that this was a dream for millions, and I enjoyed it so much that I didn't want to risk losing that enjoyment by depending on it for a living, so I decided I'd like to try and pass on some of the opportunities I'd had and trained to be a teacher. I still love singing though and when the kids and hubby go out, I'll still belt out an opera aria to remind me of the good times I had. Goodness know what the neighbours must think!

2. The smell of the country. I grew up in a tiny hamlet, with no buses, and very few cars, no shops, just lots of cows and muddy tracks. I hated it as a teenager, as I had no independence and I couldn't even rebel and sneak out unless I fancied an evening with the local baa lambs, and I became vegetarian when I learned the whole concept of slaughter houses. But as a child I loved it. I had the kind of childhood you read about in the old classics where the children get up with the sun, play outside, splashing around, not a care in the world until the sun sets. Whenever I smell that smell it reminds me of my childhood.

3. My job. I say about this so many times so I'll keep it short. While I do have a slight 'what if' about giving up my singing, how can I not be happy when I get to go and work with the best people in the world. Those who don't claim to know everything and have an enthusiasm for life. Those who despite having an image and an attitude to keep up still have respect for other people and no problem asking for help. Those people who can inflate condoms and use them as water bombs just because it's fun... Okay, perhaps there is a good place to stop!

4. Food. We need it to survive. Okay, so I love a good treat, but I also love cooking and the fact that I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that. I love the whole food process - shopping, cooking and eating.

5. My friends. Where would I be without them? I'm very lucky that my old and new friends and I all enjoy making the effort to stay in contact. Our lives have moved in completely different directions but we still see each other and it makes me feel happy and privileged to know that a giggle or a shoulder to cry on is only ever a click/phonecall away.

6. Coffee. Very superficial sorry, but after a sleepless night or a hard day at work, Mr or Mrs Caffeine always has been and will be a close ally of mine!

7. Me. Is this totally bigheaded? I was bullied at school as I was a great target: ginger, glasses, braces, overweight, huge boobs, from the country etc. etc. So when I was growing up I spent the whole time wishing I was someone else. I would make up stories to make me seem more interesting 'Yes I have got a boyfriend honest!' I know I'm not supposed to mention my family but if it wasn't for meeting my husband I'd still possibly be like that. Now I am proud to be me and I don't care if people think my life is boring or that I settled down to early, I just feel quite smug with my lot and want to shout it from the rooftops! Who I am now makes me happy!

So there we are. My only ever un-family-related blog. I know I am very fortunate and have lots of things in my life that make me happy for which I am thankful, but everything I've written about here is a million trillion times better because I have an amazing family and 2 amazing children to share it all with!

No comments:

Post a Comment